HEADQUARTERS 34TH INFANTRY DIVISION
UNITED STATES ARMY
APO - 34
162100B July 1945 *
OPERATIONAL INSTRUCTIONS NUMBER 83
1. The 34th Inf Div moves to area east of UDINE (C-4119), comes under operational control of British Eighth Army, relieves the 10th Mtn Div and elements of the 91st Inf Div of road blocks, ammunition dump guards, and motor patrols in zone.
2. 133rd Inf -- Assembles in bivouac area (See Overlay #1). Continues training.
3. 135th Inf -- Assembles in bivouac area (See Overlay #1). Continues training.
4. 168th Inf -- Relieves road posts, guards, and patrols of elements of 91st Inf Div in zone (See Overlay #2). Maintains liaison between frontier posts. Maintains contact with 91st Inf Div on Right and Jewish Brigade on Left. Prepares to take over Jewish Brigade sector. Continues training.
5. 34th Inf Div Arty -- Assembles in bivouac area (See Overlay #1). Continues training.
6. 109th Engr (C) Bn -- Assembles in bivouac area (See Overlay #1). Continues training.
7. Others -- Assembles in bivouac area (See Overlay #1). Continues training.
8. General Instructions -- See Annex "A".
ANNEX "A" to Operational Instructions #83, dtd 16 July 1945.
1. Introduction. It is the policy of the Allied authorities to establish only such measures of military and civil control as are necessary to insure the security of the forces of occupation and the maintenance of public order. Therefore, all units performing an occupational role will comply with the following:
b. Assist AMG in the maintenance of public order by the provision of any relevant intelligence obtained in the course of normal security duties.
2. Movement Control.
b. In order that residents of VENEZIA-GIULIA may be distinguished from Yugoslav citizens and from Italian citizens who are not residents of VENEZIA-GIULIA, AMG and the Yugoslav authorities will, in their respective areas, issue special identity documents to all residents of VENEZIA-GIULIA.
c. The following conditions will apply to the movement of civilians who are Yugoslav citizens or Italian citizens not residents of VENEZIA-GIULIA:
(2) Both categories will be permitted to move freely within the Allied occupied area, if their entry into this area [or] presence therein has been approved by the Allied authorities. The same principle shall apply to the Yugoslav area.
(3) Neither of these categories will be permitted to cross the Morgan Demarcation Line unless their movement across this line has been approved by both the Allied and Yugoslav authorities.
e. Passes for non-residents of VENEZIA-GIULIA to cross the Morgan Demarcation Line will be issued jointly by AMG and the Yugoslav Mission at HQ Eighth Army. Special passes are being printed for this purpose.
f. Russian officials or persons in uniform attempting to cross the Morgan Demarcation Line into the Division area will be politely but firmly refused admittance, unless in possession of the special permit issued by the Allied military authorities through the Yugoslav Military Mission.
g. There will be no passage of arms or military personnel across the Demarcation Line with the exception of:
(2) Such Allied or Yugoslav military personnel whose entry into the Yugoslav occupied area is sanctioned by the Yugoslav military authorities.
3. Road Posts.
b. Road posts will be numbered serially throughout the Division area. When a new post is established, it will be given the serial number of the nearest existing post, followed by a letter. e.g., 24A.
4. Arrest, Internment, and Extradition.
b. All personnel carrying arms when not entitled to do so will be apprehended.
c. All persons committing security offenses will be arrested.
d. Persons not chargeable with security offenses but who are considered to constitute a potential danger to Allied security or public order on the grounds of their background, record, sentiments or personality will be dealt with as follows:
(2) Italian nationals, whether of Italian or Slovene origin, will be evacuated to the Allied internment camp at TERNI;
(3) Other nationals will be treated in the same way as Italian nationals.
*: 162100B is read as day 16, time 2100 (9 p.m.), time zone B (GMT+2).
Overlays are not available with online presentations.
Text which has been corrected in, or added to, this document is enclosed in [square brackets].
Source: Bolte papers, US Army Military History Institute, Carlisle Barracks PA.