HEADQUARTERS 34TH INFANTRY DIVISION
UNITED STATES ARMY
APO - 34
191400B September 1945 *
OPERATIONAL INSTRUCTIONS NUMBER 91
1. The object of these instructions is to form a security plan for different types of conditions which might exist and the measures which might be necessary to deal with them. (See Appendix "A")
2. For areas of responsibility, (See Overlay).
3. Vulnerable points other than military installations will not be guarded in normal, or precautionary phases, except those considered by units as vital in the maintenance of law and order.
APPENDIX "A" to O.I. #91, 19 Sept 1945.[The Appendix has been reformatted for convenience in this online display.]
1. Phase: Normal. Codeword: GREEN
General Measures: Minimum guards to be mounted compatible with the task at discretion of Unit Commanders.
2. Phase: Precautionary. Codeword: YELLOW
General Measures: Strengthening of guards and marshalling of reserves in area affected. Guards to be armed.
Remarks: Units will prepare to open wireless communication on full scale.
3. Phase: Emergency. Codeword: PURPLE
b. Guards will be required on vulnerable points particularly on the Ls of C [Lines of Communication] in this phase.
c. Road movement will be restricted to essential traffic. Units will provide escorts for their own convoys. For convoys of other units for which the division is responsible, (See Annex #1).
4. Phase: Alarm. Codeword: RED
General Measures: The use of all available resources to restore the situation.
ANNEX #1 to APPENDIX "A" to O.I. #91, 19 Sept 1945.
1. The 34th Division is responsible for providing escorts for convoys of other units traveling through the division area each way in between the following cities:
2. Harbor areas where vehicles can be parked and guarded, and turned over to escorts will be established by 34th Division Artillery in Gorizia and by the 168th Infantry in Tarvisio. This Headquarters will be notified immediately of the location of these areas. Harbor area in UDINE is located at C-395190.
3. Responsibility for escorting convoys of other units in the division area is as follows:
b. 135th Infantry - Udine to Tarvisio (via Cividale).
- Udine to Gorizia [(each way)].
c. 201st Sub Area - Udine to Tarvisio (via Pontebba) (each way).
d. 56th (LON) Div - Gorizia - Trieste (each way).
*: 191400B is read as day 19, time 1400 (2 p.m.), time zone B (GMT+2).
Overlays are not available with online presentations.
Text which has been corrected in, or added to, this document is enclosed in [square brackets].
Source: Bolte papers, US Army Military History Institute, Carlisle Barracks PA.